Within this post, we list some ab exercises with a weight plate. These practices are recommended for advanced level athletes who need additional resistance to keep the development of their core.
What will you learn?
- Core exercises to create your ab workout with a weight plate.
- Workout tips on how to build stronger and bigger six-packs.
Note: Beginners shouldn’t use weight for the ab workout. Weighted abdominal exercises require exciting strong core and workout knowledge. Pros should also avoid using too heavy loads that ruin the correct form of the practice and may lead to injuries.
The Russian twist is among the best oblique exercises that also good for the lower abs.
- Sit on the floor. Lean backward and lift your legs.
- Bring the weight plate to the left side by rotating your torso, while moving your lifted legs to the right.
- Do the same on the other side.
- Try to perform the exercise as continuously possible.
It seems to be a simple move, but it works the entire core well.
- Stand with shoulder-width and push the plate above your head.
- Bend your torso to the sides with a straight back and without lifting your feet.
It's a powerful ab exercise to strengthen your abs, obliques, and even your quadriceps.
- Kneel, place the plate on your chest or hold in front of you.
- Lean backward until you can comfortably handle the resistance.
- Twist your torso to the sides.
It's an alternative to the dumbbell side bend. You just use a plate instead. It works the obliques, but you should focus on the correct form.
- Lie on the floor, bend your knees with your shins parallel to the ground.
- Keep your hands away from your torso to stop your upper body twisting.
- Slowly lower your legs towards the floor to each side.
The sit-up is one of the best ab exercises. Even it's criticized a lot causing lower back pain, that happens if you don't perform the exercise correctly. So, if you aren't good at sit-ups yet, don't use a weight at all. You can place the weight plate on your chest or hold it in front of you.
It's a great exercise to target your rectus abdominals, the six-pack muscles.
- Lie on the ground. Hold the weight plate above your chest and lift your legs as upright as possible.
- With the power of your abs, crunch towards your toes.
- When you reach your feet, you can stop for a moment and squeeze your abs for even more benefits.
It works the shoulders, but since we rotate the torso core muscles are activated as well.
- Stand with shoulder-width, lift the plate with extended arms.
- Turn to the left as far as you can.
- Get back to the starting position and lower the plate.
- Do the same on the other right side.
Can you hold the plank for some minutes, add some extra resistance with a weight plate on your back.
This list wouldn't be complete without lower back exercises with a weight plate. The Roman chair (hyperextension) bench is the best gym equipment to strengthen your lower back. The weighted version is only recommended for this advanced athletes. Poor-technique and a too heavy load can lead to severe back injuries.